Thursday, May 3, 2007

Black Wine

Not much to report, just two things that made me smile over the last two days:

Yesterday, on the drive back from the embassy, the driver asks me if I'm married...I told him no, but I'm engaged. He tells me that Gambians get married very early, and sometimes they have no choice...they are set up by their parents, but if you aren't happy with the first wife, rather than cheat on that wife, you just find another one and get married again...then he told me he has 3 wives! At first I wasn't sure if he was serious or not...but he was, so I just laughed and told him that one was more than enough for me.

Then tonight, I went to dinner and ordered a Guiness, and one of the waiters looks over and says "ah, black wine". I was a little confused because Guiness isn't that strong...but then I looked at the label and noticed it was 7.5%, (and it tastes great)! Slightly stronger than the American version which is around 3.5% or 4% I think:


Anyway, today was my last full day of training and tomorrow is a half day which should be pretty easy. After work tomorrow I am going into the capital city Banjul (I am staying about 20km outside the city), to tour around a bit, so hopefully I will have some more interesting pictures tomorrow.

No comments: